Visual Studio PowerCommands

Thought I'd quickly mention a Visual Studio AddIn that I've been enjoying recently. I don't usually like add-ins - I don't want anything to de-stablize MY working environment. But PowerCommands come from Microsoft and they add basic functionality that's missing from the might behemoth that is VS 2008.

Like what? Well, it sounds petty but I really like being able to Close All open code windows. I often don't want to Close All But This, I want a clean IDE (and thus a clean mental state).

Also, I like being able to Collapse All Projects - I don't want everything expanded when I open a large solution, I want neatness.

The other feature I really like, if you dig into the Options, is to Format Document On Save - i.e. press Ctrl+K, Ctrl+D - which ensures code is indented correctly.

(If you're spotting a slightly anal tendency here you're right - but hey, we're all programmers, right? Don't tell me you're not obsessive about something.)

Get the PowerCommands here. To my mind they're essential, and I'll be interested to see if they get integrated into VS2010...

Comments