SVNAdmin Environment Variable

VisualSVN server is a great way to install SubVersion. It comes with its own MMC tool for managing repositories. Nonetheless there's nothing quite like working with SubVersion at the command line.

I like being able to refer to svnadmin.exe and svn.exe using a variable rather than having to spell out the full path - but I set up new SubVersion boxes so infrequently that I can never remember how to do it. It's in Environment Variables right..?

Well, yes, but I need to add to the existing Path variable - not create new ones. VisualSVN already creates the VISUALSVN_SERVER variable (pointing to: C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualSVN Server\) - so all I need to do is add ";%VISUALSVN_SERVER%\bin" to the end of the Path variable's value and away we go. I can now type commands such as: svnadmin load MyRepo < D:\Dumps\MyRepo.dump

Comments