Mac + AD = pain!

I am no Mac expert. I’ve never owned one, never used one – but I’m assured that they are superior to PCs in every way! Ahem.

However, with the hiring of a UX Designer in my team I had needed to attach a Mac running OSX Mavericks (10.9) to a Microsoft Domain. Hmmm… A bit of Googling turned up some useful articles and YouTube videos. But having followed them it was no-go – couldn’t bind to the domain.

The eventual answer seemed to be two-fold:

1. Disable IPv6 from the console: networksetup -setv6off "AdaptorName"
2. Make sure that the computer account is created in Active Directory in advance

I’m not convinced that point 1 was necessary, but point 2 certainly did the trick! Normally, when attaching a PC to a domain the AD computer account gets created automatically. Not so in this case – so for Macs do this manually and away you go!

Right, now where’s the Start menu…

Comments