Mastering the Scrum Master Exam


I've been working as a fledgling Agile Coach for almost a year – and yesterday I successfully passed the Professional Scrum Master (PSM I) exam. Yay!

I have to say; the exam was harder than I expected. I thought it would be a quiz on the contents of the Scrum Guide – and with it being open-book, I expected it to be fairly easy... but no! The exam goes beyond the relatively constrained definitions in the Scrum Guide.

If you are also intending to take this exam here are some areas that you might want to research:
  • Roles and responsibilities – particularly for the Scrum Master. For instance, are they obliged to attend the Daily Scrum?
  • Definition of Done – why does it exist? Can it change? What happens if work doesn’t meet it?
  • Multiple Scrum teams working on the same Product Backlog –
    how do they coordinate?
The exam is multi-choice – but don't let that fool you. Although some questions are straight-forward "pick the correct answer" others are "choose 2 or 3 statements from the following options". There are also 80 questions to be answered within 60 minutes – so don't think that you'll be able to research each one as you go along. You'll find the time disappears quickly. Even with the prep I had done I finished with just 45 seconds to spare and no time to review.

Resources that I found useful:
Good luck!

Comments